Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Women's History Month

Did you know that March was women’s history month?

Monday night my club discussed Cokie Roberts’ book, “Founding Mothers” to celebrate women in our country’s history. We had a lively discussion about the importance of many women whose names are missing from most history books. We talked about Eliza Pinckney, Kitty Greene, Mercy Warren, Abigail Adams and Martha Washington. I don’t believe the American Revolution would have succeeded without the wok of these women, and yet we know very little about them. It was good to learn about them. In this book Roberts proves beyond a doubt that like every generation of American women that has followed, the founding mothers used the unique gifts of their gender -- courage, pluck, sadness, joy, energy, grace, sensitivity, and humor -- to do what women do best, put one foot in front of the other in remarkable circumstances and carry on.

Our group then talked about the woman who is making history in our country today. They all wanted to see Hillary succeed in her bid to become president because it would be good to have a strong, capable woman lead this nation. For many of them Hillary represents a long wanted dream for equality for women.

Do you think Hillary will really win the presidency?

4 comments:

Sling said...

I've had the feeling from the very beginning,that Hillary would be our next President,and Barack would be vice-President.
It seems this may still be a possibility.

just me said...

I'm not such a fan of Hillary that I would vote for her just because she's a woman - that being said, if she is the nominee, I would choose her over Sen McCain.

Although I do think it's cool that a woman could be elected president, in her case I think that if she does get elected, people would think her husband is the one really running the country (again).

AM Kingsfield said...

No way. I know who wears the pants in that family!
If she's smart, and I know she is, she'll ship Bill overseas to help repair the damage Bush has done to our foreign policy. She can clean house here. Sounds traditional when I say it that way, doesn't it?

Sandy said...

I wouldn't vote for anyone just because of their gender or ethnicity but husband surprised me yesterday when he said maybe it was time this country had a female president. Don't know if she's electable though because of how polarizing she is. Hard to believe that in a country with a population over 300 million these three are the best choices. Just my opinion.