Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Daffodils


Yesterday I went out to clean some of winter’s debris from my back yard. I had not been out back for quite a while and did not realize that spring had poked her lovely head up along the back of my house. A bed of dazzling yellow daffodils is dancing along the wall announcing that spring is coming. How wonderful.

I thought of my father as I admired these flowers and remembered this poem that he loved.

"Daffodils"

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,

They stretch'd in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

4 comments:

rosemary said...

Just absolutely lovely...I am so jealous....I know there are Daffodils just waiting in the yard under pounds of snow.

Sandy said...

I miss all the different types of daffodils we had while living in the Northwest - in Seattle the first signs of spring for me were the crocus poking up out of the ground.

Cazzie!!! said...

Just lovely

AM Kingsfield said...

I love that you father and brothers love poetry. No wonder...