Monday, March 17, 2008

Weekend Report

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day to all my Irish friends. Today it seems that everyone is Irish.
Today is my baby’s birthday. He is thirty-nine. Happy birthday Paul.
We had a lovely weekend. Friday evening we went to dinner at church. During Lent they have a supper and time to visit with friends every Friday night. It was a peasant evening. Saturday afternoon we celebrated Paul’s birthday by taking him to the theater in downtown Washington. We saw, “Major Barbara.” By George Bernard Shaw. It is a story that tries to understand the difference between right and wrong. I enjoyed it a lot, even if the birthday boy did doze of for a bit. His sister AM and I kept nudging him so he wouldn’t snore. Afterward we went to a lovely restaurant downtown, Cafe Atlantico . I had duck confit for dinner. It was delicious. I always enjoy sharing dinner with my kids.
Sunday was Palm Sunday. Church was very good. Sometimes I just go to church, but yesterday I came away after a wonderful experience of worship that brought me to the feet of Jesus. I am still feeling the glow of real worship.
Happy Monday everyone.

5 comments:

rosemary said...

Passion and Palm Sunday used to be my favorite times at Mass.

Sandy said...

Happy birthday to Paul! Dinner and a show - what fun though I don't exactly know what duck confit is. Being touched spiritually in such a special way on Palm Sunday, what a wonderful blessing.

Sling said...

Happy Birthday paul!
And happy St Pat's day to you mom. :)

Mom said...

I didn't know what it was when I ordered it, but it certainly was delicious. I looked up confit after I got home.
Confit is a cooking term for a variety of foods, most often meats, preserved by being salted and cooked slowly in their own fat. Confit can also be also a condiment of fruit or vegetables cooked to the consistency of jam. In addition to meats, confit refers to other foods, including garlic or lemons, cooked and preserved in oil or lard in a similar method.

A specialty of Gascony, France, the cooked meat used for confit is packed into a pot or crock and covered with the cooking fat. The fat seals and preserves the meat and is discarded before serving. Once preserved, confit is good for six months if kept sealed and stored in a refrigerator. Originally, peasants used confit to preserve meats without need of refrigeration.

Meats, most often duck, goose, or pork, preserved in this method are now considered a delicacy. Confit d'oie is preserved goose and confit de canard is preserved duck. Confit meat dishes are moist and delicate.

Sandy said...

I love people who don't know exactly what they're ordering but do it anyway! And thanks for the info.