Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Motown

Today I drove my fifteen-year-old grandson back home after a couple days of spring break visit at gramma’s. As we got in the car he put on his earphones so he could listen to his music during the drive and I put my new Motown CD in to enjoy. As we drove down the road DQ took off his earphones and looked at me incredulously. “Do you really like this music, Gramma?” When I said yes he was delighted because he loves Motown. So we sang together the entire way home. “Oo, Sugar pie, Honey bunch you know that I love you.” “Oh, I heard it through the grapevine, Oo, I’m just about to lose my mind.” We sang loud and with feeling. It was wonderful. When he got out of the car he told me I was cool. What greater praise could I possibly want?

4 comments:

just me said...

That is WAY cool, Gramma.

I am always so pleased when my teen actually enjoys something I like to listen to - I feel like I've contributed to her cultural education.

Sandy said...

Anytime they take the white wires from their ears and want to listen to YOUR music - yep, you're a cool Grandma! And one with a great sense of humor - loved your comment yesterday about the "ringer ringers."

Don't you just love watching the grandkids grow?!

rosemary said...

My children and my grandchildren all love the music of my generation...I got my oldest grandson Joni Mitchell's Shine for Christmas and my son Amy and Martha Wainwright. My daughter had given Steve Amy, I gave her Andrea Bocelli...nice mix and we all sing in the car too when we are together.

Anne said...

High praise, indeed.