Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sisters


When I was little I remember begging my mom for a baby sister. My pleas went unheard and I had to learn to make do only with brothers. I always knew I missed out on a very important relationship by never having a sister.

God eventually granted my heart’s desire by giving me two beautiful little girls to be my daughters. One of my life’s greatest joys has been watching the bond between these two girls of mine. LK was only fourteen months old when her sister AM joined our family. They have always had a connection that was something beyond best friends. They are part of each other. I don’t remember them ever fighting. As they grew they became very different people. LK was the Home Ec student of the year. She earned the most Girl Scout Badges. AM played the piano and told the most elaborate and entertaining stories. When they were in Junior High they could sing and dance to every song from Grease. In high school they kept each other’s secrets. These sisters, my daughters, are now grown with families of their own. They love and care for each other’s children.

This weekend two different people thanked me for being such a wonderful mother. They knew I must be a good mother because they knew my daughters. These two sisters bring me great joy.

8 comments:

Sling said...

See!..It's called 'a prayer of faith'..You asked for something you wanted,and recieved something that you hadn't suspaected,and I'm guessin',more fulfilling than you might have imagined as a young girl.
I.Love.That.Stuff!

Cazzie!!! said...

So gorgeous a story. I am pleased to read this. Yesterday we went on a train trip, it took 70minutes to get there. When we alighted at the other end of the line a lady came up to me and said, "Your 4 children were so well behaved you ought to be proud. And..the fact they all had a book each to read, you are such a good mum". I was a proud mother hen :)

Simon said...

Hey Mom - Lovely story! BTW I've tagged you for a 'meme' - check out my blog for what its all about... (I was confused as you probably are now, dont worry! Thank greeny for getting me started).

julie said...

they were and are adorable.

Sandy said...

Oh, I love what Sling said.

My sister was 11 months younger than me and always my best friend. And what a lovely compliment you got from the those two different people. Hugs!

just me said...

My mother - who had two sisters - always said she felt sorry for me because I didn't have any. (Just one brother.) This in spite of the fact that her sisters were 9 and 13 years older than her.

Unknown said...

It is a wonderful thing to have sibling to be close with even if it's a brother, I would guess.
I am jealous...in a good way.

AM Kingsfield said...

sniff
thanks Mom, for the great sister and my brothers too.

Who cut those bangs?