Tuesday, March 04, 2008

RN


This picture was taken on the way to my graduation ceremony from nursing school in 1961. Don’t I look professional? The handsome young man is my astronomer. We met on a blind date set up by our mothers a week before I began school at Pasadena City College where I would be living in the nursing residence at Huntington Memorial Hospital. He was a student at Cal Tech and needed a ride to school from Whittier where we both had grown up. Nursing school was a time of hard study and falling in love.

We were married the day after I graduated.

5 comments:

rosemary said...

You look very professional....I never had the cape but I wore my cap until the last day I did nursing in a uniform....and I was the odd one for doing that. Even when I wore professional clothes and did case management I wore my college nursing pin. You do seem to have stars in your eyes!

Tracy said...

Very sweet. What a big few days that must have been for you. Graduated and then married.

Sharon said...

What a great picture. You both look very happy. You have made a beautiful life together.

Sandy said...

You look professional and beautiful alongside your handsome astronomer. The picture reminded me of Cherry Ames (nurse/detective) books I loved as a child - I seem to recall she had a dashing cape like yours. Incidentally, my mother and her best friend set me up re meeting my husband. Mother's make pretty good match-makers!

Cazzie!!! said...

Absolutely professional :) I love these images and stories..and the uniform too :)