Saturday, March 15, 2008

Gramma Mullins


This is a picture of my great-grandparents, JR and Mattie Mullins. They lived in Texas. I never met them. They died long before I was born. All I know about them is that mother loved them and enjoyed going to visit them. My mom had two grandmothers. One grandmother scared my mother. She was very stern and did not allow for childish play. That grandmother owned an organ that my mother longed to play. Mom was never allowed to touch that organ. It was not fun to visit that house. Then there was Gramma Mullins. Gramma Mullins was a sweet lady who laughed often and made my mother feel loved. Gramma would take leftover biscuits from breakfast and fill them with honey for her grandchildren. My mother remembers sitting in the sunshine on the back steps with her gramma and savoring the sweet, sticky biscuit. My mom always savored memories of her sweet grandmother.

One day, when my grandchildren tell their children stories about their grandmother, I hope they remember me as the sweet grandmother.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Such a lovely picture. Mattie looks very sweet and JR very handsome. I'm guessing they were your Mother's maternal grandparents. Do you have any idea how old they were when this picture was taken? I have only one picture of my maternal great grandparents - taken in Norway when they were in their 40's but they look very, very old. You will be remembered as a loving, sweet grandma - guaranteed.

Mom said...

I don't know their age in this picture. In fact after reading my post you know almost everything about them that I know. They look old, but still alert. I have no idea where they were in the the picture. Looks like a backyard.

Unknown said...

Grandparents are so important and people- kids- don't always understand immediately what impact grandparents have on their lives. I think your family knows exactly what they have with you in their lives and that is a wonderful thing from so many angles.
I didn't have a lot of grandparent interaction so now that I am older, I feel that "lost out" feeling because that portion of my life is more or less blank.

AM Kingsfield said...

I certainly hope that no one ever remembers me as someone who wouldn't let children touch their organ.
;-)
sorry, couldn't resist

rosemary said...

What a nice story. I had one grandmother that I remember...she was cold...the other that I don't remember I know loved me. She wrote me letters. I remember her house and yard....and I love her spaghetti sauce recipe to this moment...not that I can make it but my son does.

rosemary said...

forgot...I can't imagine that you will be remembered as anything other than loveing and pretty much perfect.