Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Music

I am having a racial problem. I came of age during the 50’s listening to Perry Como, Tennessee Ernie Ford and my beautiful, wonderful Pat Boone. I loved Pat Boone with his sweet melodic voice and his white buck shoes. I had his autographed picture on the wall. His music lived in my heart. Today I am a member of the Bowie Senior Chorale. This is a group of mostly white senior citizens who came of age listening to the same music I loved. We are good at singing songs like “Moon River” and “Shenandoah.” Our young and talented director has decided that it is time for us to learn some new music, so now we are preparing to sing Motown for our concert in May. This is not our music. We can’t make our Pat Boone souls sound like Ray Charles and the Rayettes or the Supremes or Stevie Wonder. We are trying and having a good time in stretching our souls into Motown. Can a girl who grew up with Pat Boone learn to sing, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I’m Yours?”

6 comments:

Sandy said...

No doubt in my mind you all can! While all my girlfriends fell head-over-heels for Elvis, I preferred Pat Boone. After watching and listening to the video I'm in love all over again! Brings back lots of good memories!!!

Sling said...

Remember 'Running Bear"?..I love crooners like Pat,and especially Perry.
Of course,I guess the female version would be Rosemary Clooney,(yeah,..George's mom),and Doris Day!..I still have a crush on Doris.

Linda said...

Oh woman...you KNOW you got soul! You got more soul than most--rock it baby! Let it roll!

rosemary said...

It isn't a racial problem...maybe a generational one....and you go girl...you can do it!

julie said...

I go to church with Pat Boone's nephew. He is also has an amazing voice but mostly I love the way he worships with his children.

AM Kingsfield said...

I can't wait to hear this concert. You guys are always fun - and wonderful. What a great director. We all need people to stretch us.