Sunday, March 30, 2008

Growing Boys


This afternoon we went to watch our almost 13-year-old grandson play lacrosse. We were a little late and spent the first several minutes just trying to pick him out on the field. Last year it was easy to find him because he was the biggest boy on the team. I finally realized the problem. I was watching the wrong game. He was on the field with the bigger boys. He is a year older and has moved up to the older team. This year he is one of the youngest and smaller players. It was amazing to me how much better these older kids played. They are much rougher and play with greater skill. This was no little kid game. This gramma has a problem watching the kids grow up so fast.
Last night we went to Ruby Tuesday’s for dinner. We had a phenomenal waiter. This tall, dark handsome young man was friendly and helpful and even volunteered to come do some yard work for me next week. The more than generous tip we left him was entirely due to our excellent service and had nothing to do with the fact that the waiter was our grandson. Our little boys are almost grown. The time does fly.

5 comments:

just me said...

I did not know your grandson was working at Ruby's. What nights does he work? We go there often and find that the quality of the service is uneven. We would love to ask for him!

Mom said...

He just started last week. I don't think he has a regular schedule yet, but he is working 5 evenings this week.He is enjoying the interaction with customers.

AM Kingsfield said...

It was a brutal lax game. My son was on ice afterwards. I wanted to go out there and deck those mean boys myself. My boyfriend's daughter offered to carry a "Say No to Violence" sign onto the field, but I assured her that her effort would not be widely appreciated.

Sandy said...

They do grow up soooo fast and it's such a privilege to watch it happen. And you must feel very proud to be related to such a good waiter. Love the way that story developed!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Mom, I was not seeing the ending to the Ruby Tuesday night until it was upon me. Sounds like there were no eye rolls when he was waiting on you like I would get from my children if they were waiting on me. Hehe.

So your other grandson is having to toughen up quite a lot, eh? Sounds excruciating.