Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Woman Attacks Mountain

Today one woman (me) attacked a monster of a mountain. The mountain is about 12 feet high and about 60 feet long. This mountain is the border between our house and the next-door neighbor’s house. During the years when we were raising children, and then during the years when I was working full time, the mountain became an overgrown jungle of weeds. It was truly ugly. Now I am retired and I finally have some time to attack this overgrown mountain. Today I pulled weeds, dug holes, planted hostas and daylilies and spread mulch over the front 20 feet of this ugly mountain. It is beginning to look much better. When I finished I was covered in dirt and sweat and was truly exhausted. This feeling of fatigue that comes from working hard is a rewarding sort of tired because I know I have accomplished something. The mountain is still winning the war, but today I won a small battle against the weeds and put the overgrown jungle into retreat.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

In your first phase of mountain battles, you got rid of the overgrown bushes - were they junipers? What I remember about them was the bagworms. You paid us something like a nickle a worm and we filled bags of them. I think you took our word for how many we picked. Then dad burned them in a steel trashcan. It was gross.
Thank God someone is making that place pretty.