Sunday, June 04, 2006

Baptism

Today I watched as 2 sisters were baptized. Nicole and Lee Ann are 12 and 13 years old. It was a sweet ceremony as they confessed their faith in Jesus and were baptized into Christ while their entire extended family and the congregation watched. My mind wandered back to 1952 when I was 11 years old and I was baptized.

Brother Scott finally finished the sermon and stepped down from the pulpit to offer the invitation. “If there is anyone here today who wants to repent of their sins and be baptized, you can come now as we sing the invitation song.” Brother Smith steps up to the podium then and begins swinging his arm. Brother Smith leads singing by swinging his arm around and around in a huge circle, and the congregation begins the song. “Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing power? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Are you fully trusting in his grace this hour? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?” I step out into the aisle and walk down to the front of the auditorium where Brother Scott is waiting and sit on the front pew. After the song is finished he takes my confession. He asks, ”Susan, do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?” I answer that I do. Then I walk into the dressing room, which is up a fight of stairs behind the baptistery where my mother is waiting with tears in her eyes and a big smile. She hugs me tight. She has pulled out the clothes for me to wear – a long heavy cotton gown. I change into it quickly and mom leads me to where the steps lead down into the baptistery. Brother Scott appears from the other side. He has taken off his suit jacket and is wearing big rubber waders to keep his clothes dry. He takes my hand and leads me down into the water. The water is about 3 feet deep. He puts one hand on my back and raises the other hand heavenward. “Upon your confession of faith in Jesus Christ, I now baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.” Then I hold my nose and he lays me back into the water until I am completely immersed. When I come out of the water I feel a sense of total purity. I know that all my sins have been washed away. I am a child of God. I go back up the steps where my mother is waiting. She holds me tight. I remember that her dress got all wet. I tell her that I feel holy.

That day will always remain in my memory as one of the most important days of my life. That was the day I decided to follow Jesus. I have been on a journey following Him ever since.

I hope Nicole and Lee Ann will remember today as one of the most important days of their lives.

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

I know you are sharing a sweet memory, but it triggered the irritation I've been feeling toward the church of my youth. I hesitated to write it here, but since you invited comments, I'll be honest.
My sister & I used to fantasize about how great it would be if you dropped dead right after getting baptized so you never had a chance to sin again. Then you'd be sure to go straight to heaven. I remember feeling that jolt of holy purity. I remember knowing it was temporary. I was subtly taught that you had to stay on your toes and not take any chances. If you worshipped God incorrectly, you still might go to hell.
Kinda sucks the joy out of my memory.

Mom said...

I do understand exatly how you feel. I have had the identical feeling. I will have to write a few posts about my spiritual journey, but that will take some thought and time - and probally several posts. Stay tuned.