Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Electricity

I came home from a meeting last night to find that we had once again lost electric power. This seems to happen whenever we have a big storm. It is most inconvenient! When we woke up this morning there was still no power. In our house that means there is no way to make coffee. I am not nice without my morning coffee so I obviously needed to go to the local bagel bakery where they make very good coffee. As I sat there drinking coffee and looking over the morning paper I took note of the people who were there at eight in the morning. There were several like myself, alone at a table, enjoying coffee and reading the paper. Several people were treating this place as their office. They had their laptops and papers strewn across the table and seemed oblivious to rest of the room. I know my older daughter, who runs a business out of her home, comes here to interview prospective employees. There were several groups of men dressed in suits who appeared to be having a business meeting. The noisiest groups were several gatherings of senior citizens who were just there to socialize. There was much laughter and conversation at those tables. I found one older woman particularly fascinating. She was there when I arrived, sitting alone and drinking coffee, but she was not alone long. It seemed that almost everyone knew her. I counted seven who sat down and visited with her for a few moments before going on and several others who just stopped and chatted for a minute. She smiled, nodded and listened to them all. She was still there when I left. She must be a good listener. It was really a very pleasant hour.

When I returned home there was still no power. What could I do? Normally I would check the answering machine and look at my email, but that doesn’t work without electricity. I finished putting things away from our trip. I washed dishes. It was getting hot and stuffy. No air conditioning without electricity. I tried to turn on the fan, but the electric fan wouldn’t work. The power finally came on late this afternoon.

I was very frustrated because I was unable to blog last night. That seems silly since it had been a very quiet day and I really had nothing important to say. I just have gotten a bit addicted to blogging and reading the blogs of others. Why is that? I don’t think I am the only one who feels this way. Why do you like to blog?

No comments: