Saturday, June 17, 2006

Niagara Falls


Yesterday I rode The Maid of the Mist to the base of Niagara Falls. It was totally breathtaking. I had already stood at the brink of the falls and watched as millions of gallons of water spilled over the edge in a mesmerising roar. I got dizzy watching it and felt the ground tremble with the power of all that water. The experience in the Maid of the Mist was far more awesome. The sound was deafening. The mist from the falls completly surrounded us and blocked our vision of everything except the water falling all around us. It was wonderful.
We are staying here to celebrate our fouty-fifth anniversary. They claim that this is the honeymoon capital of he world. We did in fact see two wedding parties yesterday. Mostly, thought the town is filled with families and senior citizens.
We have a wonderful hotel room overlooking the falls. In the cool of early morning the mist rises up high above the falls. In the afternoon sun a rainbow always spreads it's arch across the falls. I never get tired of looking at this beautiful sight
Now I can happily cross off one more on the long list of places I want to see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That would be a trip! My heart would be racing to be that close to something so amazing and powerful! Hope the trip is wonderful for you both.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm so glad you're traveling. Don't save a penny for me. Spend it on yourselves! You're setting an excellent example for me.

Maybe that spray of roaring water was like a new baptism.