Friday, May 12, 2006

Todd

While planting flowers today I was overcome with memories of Todd.

Todd is our foster son. He came to live with us when he was 15 years old and stayed for four years until he went off to college and the grown up world. We’ve lost contact with Todd, but the memories remain.

The summer after he graduated from high school, Todd worked for a landscaping company. He was the only non-Hispanic guy on the work crew, and by far the youngest. One night at dinner he said that sometimes lunch was hard because they all teased him about being the little gringo. I asked where all the other guys were from and Todd replied,” I think they’re all from Guacamole, or someplace like that.”

During that summer my beloved husband and I went away for the weekend. When we came home we found our flowerbeds freshly tended and a new little flowerbed next to the driveway. Todd thought we needed some flowers there. He was quite proud of his efforts. I was quite touched by his demonstration of affection.

Today I planted flowers in Todd’s little flowerbed.

Thanks for the sweet memories, Todd.

God bless you with joy.

1 comment:

julie said...

I miss Todd. Whenever I think about him, I remember to pray for his safety and for peace in his life. I have many memories of Todd...so sweet. I am glad that there are things like flowerbeds to remind you of him. He needs to be remembered.