Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hospice

I am a volunteer for our local hospice. It is such an honor that people allow me to share such a sacred time in their life.

Today I was asked to go to the hospital and stay with a family as they said goodbye to their father. This father was a well loved 80 year old who had been able to speak with them just this morning. . I am always amazed at the amount of love I see at these moments. His children and grandchildren were at his bedside sharing his final journey.

Last week I stayed with a frail little lady who suffers from dementia. Her husband, who is her main caregiver, needed to see the doctor. When he returned home he went straight to her chair and kissed her and held her hand. He said, ”I’m home, Honey. Did you miss me? It is always so good to come back home to you.” She did not respond. That husband adores this woman who has been his wife for 60 years. Tears came to my eyes at this demonstration of true love.

2 comments:

Linda said...

you are so amazing and wonderful. I wanna be you when I grow up. :)

AM Kingsfield said...

I suppose love like that is real. Sometimes it is nice to have someone burst my cynical bubble.