Thursday, May 11, 2006

Green

Today I went to my watercolor class. We are learning color theory. The assignment was to match the colors in a bouquet of iris and cornflowers.

I began by trying to make a color that matched the stems of the flowers. Obviously that would be green. So a squeezed out a little chrome oxide, a nice mid green. Then I looked again at the stems and saw there was a bit of warm yellow, so mixed in a little new gamboge. I looked at the stem a little longer and noted some touches of blue, so a dab of warm ultramarine was added. I just about had it then, making sure I had the paler and deeper shades of each green.

I’m pretty sure that green is God’s favorite color because there are so many different greens. There is yellow green, blue green, red green, deep green that is almost black, and the bright intense greens of spring. Go outside and notice how many different greens there are. Keep looking because I’m sure you missed one.

I am so thankful for the gift of sight that lets me enjoy the wonderful and varied palette of God’s colorful world.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I used to like blue. For the longest time it was my favorite. Now I'm drawn to the greens. I want to paint all the rooms in my house some shade of green. I already have chalkboard green in the living room and lime in the entry hall. It's like bringing God's world indoors...

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks for reminding us to notice!
Luvya,
Ann