Friday, May 19, 2006

Ashley

“Hey Gramma, you wanna take me to lunch?” The caller was my beautiful 19-year-old granddaughter. Of course I wanted to take her to lunch. I seize every opportunity to be with this almost grown grandchild of mine. She has just finished her sophomore year of college and is about to leave for a month in Europe with her humanities class. She is so excited and is bubbling over with plans and dreams. It is fun to listen to her.

My mind drifts back to another phone call, just over 19 years ago. It was her daddy who could hardly talk with the overflow of emotion. “Sue, I’m a daddy. We have a little girl. I’m in love. She’s beautiful!” He has been wrapped around her little finger ever since.

Being a grandmother is the most wonderful, awesome blessing in the world. I have 8 grandchildren, each of them intelligent, beautiful and far above average. Ashley is the first grandchild, the one who first called me gramma. She is a very special young lady.

Have a great time in Europe, Ashley. Come home with wonderful memories. Thank you for all the wonderful memories of you that fill my heart.


Ashley and her daddy





1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

sniff
Does anyone have a tissue?
Aunt Ann