Thursday, January 01, 2009

Diabetes

After a wonderful Christmas celebration, our sixteen year old grandson DQ came to stay with us for few days. He didn't seem to feel quite right. He wasn't hungry, very unusual for this boy. He couldn't get enough to drink and he couldn't sit through a meal without getting up to use the bathroom three or four times. He was tired all the time and he had terrible fruity smelling breath. I knew before his dad took him to the Urgent Care center Sunday what the diagnosis would be. He had all the classic symptoms of diabetes. When the lab report came back his blood sugar was 1100, about ten times the normal level. He spent the next three days in Children's Hospital while trying to get his sugar under control. The doctors say he will be on insulin the rest of his life. DQ will need to make some major life style changes to get this disease under control. It will be a hard thing for this boy and for his family. He came home after dinner on New Year's eve. The new year will be a year of big adjustments for him.

Happy New Year to all my blogland friends. I am looking forward to all the good things God is going to send our way in 2009.

12 comments:

Tracy said...

Happy New Year! I'm sorry to hear about DQ's diagnosis. That will be a huge adjustment.

May your 2009 be blessed!

Unknown said...

What a lot for a kid to handle. Good that there are so many loving people to help support him.
Wishing you and your whole family the very best in the coming year.

Jennie said...

Sorry to hear about your grandson's diabetes. That is a tough thing for a kid that age. I do know a young girl who was diagnosed as a young teen and I was pretty amazed at the technology for testing and all now. She really has been able to keep well on top of it using the tools they gave her. I wish the best for him!

Linda said...

Same thing happened to my nephew 2 years ago-- it was terrifying! The good news is he dropped a ton of weight, got very active and is now a star wrestler at his school. God works in mysterious ways with His wake up calls, it's tough but DQ is so lucky to have you help him through it.

Happy New Year!

John said...

We are praying for DQ and his family. Needless to say, this will be a major adjustment. We went through this ourselves with Isaac about two years ago. It is extremely hard for a young man to come to grips with this disease but the treatment has made wondrous changes in Isaac's life. The only recommendation I would give would be that, as he gets settled with it, check out an insulin pump. Once Isaac got that, it was all the difference in the world. Again, we will be praying.

rosemary said...

i am with jennie...and i am sure you know that technology is great in the area of juvenile diabetes. The best to you and yours in 2009.....you always make my day a bit brighter when i read your posts.

Cazzie!!! said...

I am sure DQ will be just fine and it sounds like he has an awesome support group within his family.
Happy New year :)

Sling said...

Happy New Year mom!..Diabetes treatment has come a long way since my grandma's day.(she suffered from it)..Best wishes for DQ..

Unknown said...

Best wishes for DQ as he makes the adjustment to his diagnosis. With the help of his family he no doubt will adjust and make the necessary changes he will need to do. My thoughts will be with him.

Middle Child said...

I am orry to hear about this. Its huge for such a young person...I wish him and his all the best and hope he has a decent doctor and dietician to get him started.

Anonymous said...

Ah, blessed be you all knew enough to get him to the ER asap. He and the family will have huge adjustments to make, but it will get easier with time. Although it is no picnic, it is treatable, amen to that!

It will be a good year Mom. You wait and see what your faith in God will bring--wonderful miracles I'm sure. Blessings eastern blogger friend.

Miss Bunny said...

DQ will have to eat like me! I eat lots of salads and veges and can't have any carbs (even though I do like pretzels, popcorn, and chips...). I often hear that everyone would be healthier if they ate like me! (Except for the hay I guess.) I can eat all I want of the right thing. Carrots are a most excellent treat. I'm sorry DQ is sick, and I hope he's hopping around soon.