Friday, January 16, 2009

Inauguration

For those of us who live and work near Washington DC, the inauguration is local news. We hear new details daily about how this very big, historic, and exciting event is going to affect our lives. I am thrilled that Barack Obama is about to become president, but there is no way I would go anywhere near Washington on Tuesday. Here is a list of my reasons to stay home to celebrate.

1.It is cold. There have been multiple articles about how to dress to endure hours of standing in subfreezing cold. I hate being cold. I don't own enough clothes to survive that long outside.

2.It will be crowded. Millions of people packed in shoulder to shoulder for as far as the eye can see sounds scary to me. It makes me claustrophobic to think about the crowd.

3.I might need to use the toilet. Every port-a-potty east of the Mississippi will be lining the Mall and the parade route and there will be long lines for all of them. They will not be heated and the seats will be too cold to sit on.

4.It will be nearly impossible to drive into town. All of the bridges across the Potomac will be closed so driving will be only possible from the Maryland side. The traffic will be unbelievable. If you do manage to drive downtown there will be no parking anywhere near anything.

5.Metro will start running trains at 4AM. Metro hopes to be able to transport about 100,00 people per hour. The waits will be very long to move the millions of people expected. Parking at all metro stations will be gone by 5AM.

6.Security will be on high alert. If you do manage to get to the Mall you will have to endure long lines to get through security. Carrying enough food and water to survive the day and still make it through security will be a challenge.

I plan to enjoy the day at home with a few friends, but millions of people are planning to endure all the hassles of the day just to be there for this moment of history. There is great excitement. The sense of celebration and history is drawing million of people.

If Washington DC were your hometown would you endure the cold and the crowds and the problems to be there for the celebration?

7 comments:

rosemary said...

No. reason #1, 2 germs and all, for sure 3, 6...I need my snacks. i will be perfectly happy to watch it on TV although I did enter a contest and wrote an essay to win a seat probably in Vermont to see this historical event! Obviously I lost.

Sling said...

I would absolutely have to be there!
You don't get a shot at being witness to history all that often.

Linda said...

I have to say I'm leaning toward not going which is really tough for me. I've been to every one since Reagan-- my Dad has been to all since Truman. It's kinda our thing. But he wasn't well enough to attend Bush's last one... and I know he won't be able to do this one. I really, really want to go! But for all the reasons you stated.. I'm hedging. Don't mind the cold, could deal with the crowds (Clinton's was CRAZY!!) but am just not sure I can do it on my own. May end up watching in my warm living room. Bummer... it will be amazing, I'm sure.

julie said...

Sue, I would be there if I still lived there. I couldn't stand it...knowing it was happening so close and I wasn't there.

Sharon said...

I do live here, and I wouldn't go near downtown. The cold is reason enough for me, all the other reasons just make my decision sound smarter to me.

AM Kingsfield said...

we'll still be witnessing history if we stay home. I remember my friend's mom made us stop playing to watch Nixon resign. I'm glad she made us do that, although I wasn't happy at the time.
I'm not going because I want to see it. With all those crowds, you might not get to see anything.

Middle Child said...

I am amazed at how you guys welcome in a president..when our PM Mr Rudd was sworn in it was such a non event but then since the 1970's most of our leaders have looked like bank tellers or solicitors...and acted the same