Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sisters

All my life I wanted to have a sister. When I was little I begged my mom to bring me a sister. She refused and said that I would have to happy with brothers. I always knew I was missing something wonderful. I have had many girlfriends across the years, but really only one who has shared so much of my life that she is like the sister I always wanted. Her name is Dot.

We met at church almost forty years ago. Across the years we have helped to raise each others children. We have shared the good times and the bad times and all the in between times. We have laughed till it hurt and cried till the tears were gone. We have held each other when there no words to be said. We now go long periods of time without seeing one another, but we always know that we are there for each other. I am blessed to have her in my life.

Her husband, Mark, did indeed have a stroke on Tuesday night. The CT scan done that night in the emergency room missed it, but when an MRI was done the next morning the large bleed into the left cerebellum was obvious. He has been transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where he will have to teach the right side of his brain to do the things that were formally done by the left side. He should recover. I will again share this hard part of the journey with my friend.

This video describes how we share life with our sister friends.

6 comments:

julie said...

Sue,
YES, and Yes, and yes! This is so good. I will have to buy her book now...today.
I have and have had just what she is talking about here. I am so lucky! Those friends are everywhere.
I, too, never had a sister but really I have many sisters and for that I am eternally grateful.

Sling said...

I was fortunate while growing up to have an older sister to count on when needed.(and to aggravate and irritate in the way only little brothers can).
Prayers for the swift recovery of your 'sister's' husband.

Tracy said...

Sue,
Dot is awesome. So are her kids.
Praying Mark has a speedy recovery.

I didn't always appreciate my sister growing up, but we are really close and appreciate each other now. I am grateful.

AM Kingsfield said...

sniff

just me said...

My mother always used to say she felt sorry for me because I had no sisters (she had two).
Unfortunately for me, I have not yet found a friend that I think of as a sister. So glad you have. I hope Dot's husband has a full recovery.

Middle Child said...

That is so good...my best and only real friend..is like a sister to me...I have four real sisters...two I keep in close touch with...but this friend...has seen it all with me...a special relationship