Wednesday, January 28, 2009

50 years

We woke up this morning to world covered with snow and ice. It is beautiful, but also very cold and slippery. I am happy to stay inside and grateful for the enterprising neighbor boy who is shoveling my driveway. This cold and ice makes me grateful for the trip we are taking tomorrow to warm, sunny southern California.

Fifty years ago this week my brother Joe married his beautiful Judy. It was a beautiful wedding. Her father was a very artistic man who wanted his little girl to be married in a beautiful place. He searched for the perfect place and picked a lovely chapel in Rose Hills. Rose Hills is one of the biggest cemeteries in southern California. We have had many laughs over the years about their wedding in the graveyard. I remember Judy's mom wanting to wear her much loved mink stole and being told she could not wear it. She pouted about that. I was a bride's maid that day. I remembering being very excited about the wedding and finding it hard to believe that my brother was really getting married. My biggest memory is of my hurting feet. I was only seventeen and had never worn high heels before. I took them off during the reception. The reception was in the home of a friend with a big, beautiful house. My tea-totaling family was a little horrified that wine was served, but my mom said this was the bride's decision and we should not complain. Mostly I remember the day as great fun. It is a happy memory.

Do you have any funny wedding memories?

We are flying to California to join their children, grandchildren, and Judy's mother, who may be allowed to wear her mink for this celebration.


Joe and Judy
January 30, 1959

7 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Why wasn't she allowed to wear mink? She was allowed to drink wine.

Mom said...

The bridal coordinator for the cometary chapel said the mink was inappropriate and the bride said no.

Sling said...

Wow..50 years!
That's amazing!
Happy Anniversary Joe & Judy! :)

rosemary said...

I only remember the big Italian weddings i went to as a little girl....food, lots of wine, big dresses and lots of gifts...and sliding the length of the dance floor and getting in trouble. have fun in Calif. if you go to Rose Hills again try to find the hill where you can see the Buddhist Columbarium. Breathtaking

Jennie said...

Besides the fact that i was marrying stan, there were quite a few things about my wedding day that I found kinda annoying. One thing that brought a smile was the light layer of snow on March 24th. The snooty lady who sold me the velvety bridesmaid dresses told me it was inappropriate for a spring wedding so when I saw the lovely snow I had to laugh. :)

Jennie said...

Besides the fact that i was marrying stan, there were quite a few things about my wedding day that I found kinda annoying. One thing that brought a smile was the light layer of snow on March 24th. The snooty lady who sold me the velvety bridesmaid dresses told me it was inappropriate for a spring wedding so when I saw the lovely snow I had to laugh. :)

Middle Child said...

You know looking at the marriage photo of your brother and his wife and then the one fifty years older...they still look like themselves altho older...some people change but you would recognise this pair anywhere.