Sunday, January 04, 2009

Updates

I glanced through my posts from the past year and thought I would give a few updates on things I have talked about in 2008.

Thank you for all your comments and prayers for DQ. I just talked to him and he is doing OK. His acetone levels are near normal. His sugar is still high, but the doctors want to bring it down slowly as they adjust his insulin level. He sees the doctor again tomorrow. DQ says diabetes is annoying.

I talked with my brother Bill today. He is not doing well. His beloved Jean remains in the rehab facility with injuries from her head injury last summer. She is completely paralyzed on the left side with no hope of improvement. After being in a coma for two months she awoke to a world of pain and dependence for all her daily needs. They are both suffering from overwhelming depression and unable to find much joy in their life. It is difficult.

Our number one granddaughter is searching for a job. Due to the poor economy Disney had to cancel their professional intern program. She had planned to continue her internship through June, but her job, like many others, was eliminated. She is hoping to remain in Orlando and is looking for work there. With tax season approaching she is expecting to find an accounting job soon. We are praying that she will find something quickly.

The company my daughter and son-in-law opened last spring is growing. 2008 was not the best year to start a new business so the growth is slower than they had hoped, but it looks like it will soon be a successful, money-making company. They are working hard and are hopeful for the future.

We are making a few plans for adventure in 2009. It will be hard to top last year's trip to the Galapagos Islands, but we are looking forward to wherever the future takes us.

3 comments:

Sling said...

I know how excited your grand daughter was to be working for Disney.
It doesn't seem fair that she lost that job through no fault of her own.
Let's hope that things turn for the better in '09.

Middle Child said...

Re your brother Bill and his beloved Jean...tell them from me that there will be three years at least of grief for the life they had and now expected...

But if they can look squarely at each other and remember the love...thats the hard thing.

My husband Don was shockingly disabled when he was 32 and I 28 with two smallkids...it was dreadfully hard work...but my god it was worth it...tell them not to think of what they have lost buit of what they have still...

I would be happy to talk via email with either of them if needed ...the love between them is the most important thing.

Mom said...

MC, thanks for the offer of help. brother Bill is an old dinosaur with no computer. figure folks can call him if they want him. He even still has a rotary dial phone. He is such an introvert that I doubt he would want to talk with a stranger. You surely could give him another perspective of his crises.