Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Joe


My brother Joe was born on New Year's eve, 1937. I can't remember him ever having a birthday party. Every Christmas we got a big package full of presents from our Texas relatives and there would be one wrapped in birthday paper that Joe had to wait and open on his birthday. On New Year's eve we had an end of the year party with noisemakers and confetti, but I don't remember anything about it ever being a party for Joe. Maybe he had a party and being the little sister I just don't remember.

When we were little Joe teased me and made me cry. It seemed to me that he took pleasure in making my life miserable. He shared a room with our older brother, Bill, who was always reading a book and ignored our squabbles. One time I remember that Joe would not allow me on his side of their bedroom, but Bill would allow me on his side. To get to Bill's side of the room I had to run across Joe's side. Naturally I only wanted to play with Bill when Joe was there so I could taunt him from the safety of Bill's protection.

Something strange happened when Joe was in high school. He started being nice to me. When I got in trouble he would sit and talk to me and tell me things would be OK. On a few occasions he asked me to join him and his girlfriend for a day of hiking. He became my friend.

The picture is Mom with baby Joe

9 comments:

just me said...

My father-in-law also has a 12/31 birthday (1933). I don't know how he felt about it as a kid, but as an adult he likes the fact that his birthday is often overlooked. Especially since he is one of only a few men in his family to make it past age 70.

Anne said...

I love looking at your old family photos. Thanks for sharing!

John said...

It's nice how family changes like that.

Jennie said...

You were blessed with two older brothers, every girl wants one. I had a sister 6 years younger who wanted little to do with me, only to hang on my mother! Now we're best friends, but I did like the idea of brothers...even one that tortured. ;) My grandmother's birthday was 12/31...mine is 1/31 and my sister's is 3/31. We always thought that was neat.

Cazzie!!! said...

Maybe he did not realise he was being so mean, or the effect it truly was having on you at the time. I am so glad he worked it all out and became a friend to you.

Anonymous said...

Brothers can be the death of you and the most wonderful friend on the planet. I email mine every day: I miss him and our closeness we once had. Enjoys yours--such sweet days filled with friendship and love are way too short. you are blessed!

rosemary said...

never had an older brother....but i think boys are kinda like that, right?

Sling said...

I was the middle kid,with an older sister and brother,and a younger sister and brother.
we fought like cats and dogs as kids,but got along famously as we grew older.
I love the old B&W pic of Joe!

Middle Child said...

He loved you okay but had a strange way of showing it...ahhh famiblies