Saturday, August 02, 2008

Camping with Boys

This week I joined my daughter on a camping trip with her thirteen-year-old son and three of his buddies. We had a delightful time together.
Thirteen-year-old boys are a breed all their own. These guys have bodies that have suddenly gotten bigger and voices that have suddenly gotten deeper. They had a wonderful time all day doing manly things like setting up their tent, canoing, chopping firewood and building a campfire. They loved the freedom to play and roam the woods by themselves. They were manly men. At night they crawled into their tent laughing and talking. Our campsite was about a hundred yard away so they felt alone. As they got sleepy they noticed that the night is full of noises that these city boys aren't used to hearing. They could hear scary, unidentified things moving around outside their tent. My daughter's cell phone rang. They needed a mom. These manly men had no objection when she crawled into their tent and sang to them until they were able to fall sleep.
This is one of the songs she sang as their lullaby that night.

8 comments:

John said...

That's one of Isaac's favorite songs. He sang it for weeks. Now he's moved on to the music from Jesus Christ Superstar. My kids are weird. The get it honest though, I guess.

Tracy said...

What a cool mom your daughter is. Of course, she's just cool in general.. not just the mom part.

She comes by it naturally.

Unknown said...

What a great time they must have had.
But you sounded so like calm about camping a whole week with 13 year old boys. I was frazzled after 24 hours of a sleep over experience yesterday for Jack What's your secret?

Mom said...

John, It is a cute song. I hope Isaac is weird just like his dad.

Tracy, I think she's a cool mom too.

Greeny, It was only a two night camping trip and I was only there for one night.

AM Kingsfield said...

I also sang the Beatles and James Taylor. Anything sounds good on the hard ground when you are sleep deprived.

A week? Are you kidding? I'd need a separate cooler for wine if that were the case.

Anonymous said...

This is too funny. Manly men and camping...looks like your daughter was the hero that night. I am stull chuckling.

Sandy said...

One night? I'm still impressed. I very well remember how hard the ground is!

Jennie said...

I can relate to all of this post! The boys, the scary tent at night, the song (which my kids sing)...the only thing I can't relate to is the idea of my mother camping with me. You're too cool.