Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ponies


A few years ago while visiting in California my husband, daughter and I invited my brother Bill and his beloved Jean to join us for lunch at a restaurant on the Santa Monica Pier. They were excited about joining us. The memory of that afternoon still makes me smile.

My big brother is short, only about five feet tall. Jean is smaller. Neither of them are very healthy. They are an adorable little old couple who hold hands when they walk. To say that Jean walks slowly would be a gross understatement. It is difficult for the rest us of to move at such a slow shuffle. That afternoon we parked in the closest spot to the pier so we would have only a few steps to reach our destination. It took about fifteen minutes to cross the short distance. We finally reached the pier and there before us was a beautiful antique carousel going around and around to the carnival music. I love carousels and I wanted to ride this one. Jean's eyes lit up when she saw it and she wanted to ride too. It was wonderful. We had assumed that Bill and Jean would sit in one of the swan benches that were available, but no, that would not do. Jean wanted to ride one of the ponies. Of course Bill wanted Jean to do whatever she wanted. Jean slowly shuffled over to her chosen pony. There was no way she could get up without help. Bill, Dennis and Ann all pushed and shoved until she was safely mounted. Then Bill with slightly less difficulty mounted the pony next to hers and we all found a ride for ourselves. Jean laughed and laughed as we whirled around with the music in our ears and the salt air blowing in our faces.

The next day we were all together with my other brother Joe and his wife Judy. I overheard Jean telling Judy about the wonderful time we had had the day before.”It was wonderful,” Jean said, “We all rode the ponies on the beach.”

This week Jean is being to a long-term acute care facility. It is a terrible place where they care for people with horrible medical conditions. The rooms are crowded and small. There is only a small chair by her bed where Bill can sit. There is little privacy. There is little hope and less joy.

I am grateful that we do have sweet memories to sustain us.

11 comments:

DD said...

Sue,
You probably don't recognize my name but I found your blog last night. My husband John is your cousin. He is the youngest child of Byrtle's brother Thomas Gideon (T.G.) Fowler, Jr.

I have forwarded the link to your blog to John's brother Tom and to Dot Fowler (James Franklin's daughter).

Wilma (aunt to you, "mom" to me) is still fairly active and mentally alert. She turned 89 in July.

We were sorry to hear about the struggles that are now facing Bill and Jean and will be including them in our prayers.

DD & John Fowler

Mom said...

Wow, DD.! You're baby John's wife! I hasn't seen John since he was a little boy. I have occasionally emailed Tom (Tom Alan to me) but not for a long time. Great to hear from you. Give Aunt Wilma a hug from her Maryland niece. Where do you live?
How many kids?

Unknown said...

Im thinking about them and you and hoping things will become easier for them both. I know it must be so hard.

Jennie said...

That was a good memory. I'm praying for them both tonight.

DD said...

John and I have been married 29 years and have two children. Our daughter, 25, lives and works a few miles from us. Our son, 22, is a junior at LeTourneau University.

If you are interested Tom's wife Nancy has a blog that has some family news from Fowler's and her family the Pattersons. www.nancysfamilyquilt.com

DD

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm so glad we rode the ponies on the beach. When she elbowed me about it with a wink, she added.."and the margaritas!"
They were delicious - even if I was the only imbiber.

Part of why she was slow on the pier was that she had to stop and try on hats and sunglasses and shake all those touristy snowglobes. Isn't she wonderful?

rosemary said...

Oh Sue...a sad event but a wonderful memory story.

Anonymous said...

HI MOm,
The journey from ponies to acute care facilities to going home to our Lord is a road filled with mixed emotions for us. These facilities are where my students go to when they cannot be taught in regular school. Yes, they can be awful. Look for God's glory in there--He shines in the least expected ways. Through all of this I know your family will draw closer to God...I am still praying for you....what beautiful memories to have and focus on today. I can hear the music playing...beautiful post friend.

Maureen said...

Sue,
This made me laugh and cry at the same time. I just sent Tom an email telling him I want to ride a carousel.
We love you guys.

Middle Child said...

That is so lovely - Hopefully her husband can comne and see her often - its too hard to be separated like that at the end of life

Sling said...

What a touching memory mom..
I'm gettin' a kick out of your connection with DD as well! :)