Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bill & Jean


I talked to my brother Bill tonight. Life is hard now and the conversation was painful. Jean is in the long-term care facility. She is receiving good nursing care and has made some progress. One side is completely paralyzed, but she is breathing without assistance and has even spoken a few words. That is more progress than we had hoped for, but her condition is still very grim. Her words are few. She has said things like,”Hurts,” “This is terrible,” and “I can't stand this.” Bill does not find much comfort in knowing how much she is suffering. When asked if she knew his name she said, “Bill.” Once she said, “Vicoden.,” the pain medicine she is receiving. Her brain is working and she knows she is hurting. How awful it must be to wake up trapped in a body that always hurts and no longer works.

My heart breaks for them. Pray for this sweet couple as they struggle through a very hard time.

The picture is from their wedding day thirty-nine years ago.

8 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

This does break my heart and I do not even know these people! I see this at work and I do my very best to give the care that I would want given to me if I were in that situation, and then there is the thoughts and feelings of the family too.. suffice to say, at the end of a shift on these nursing wards I am more than emotionaly worn out.
Thinking of you and yours right now.

Middle Child said...

Caz is one of the goodies - re nurses. yes its hard for her, and hard for him. Hopefully her suffering won't be too much for them to bear. Ionly know how I felt watching my husband's suffering (he was paralysed when he was 32) but he could speak etc well and do stuff... in the last year or two of his life his suffering was shocking. I do feel sorry for this couple.

Chris said...

That is so heartbreaking, bless thier hearts...sending prayers for peace and relief.

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, our prayers will continue for all of you. This is so hard to go through. We will continue to ask for mercy and comfort. Oh sweet blogger....thank you for keeping us informed. This is a beautiful couple. How blessed you are to have them in your life.

Sling said...

It's hard to imagine the pain they both must be suffering..I'll remember them in my prayers as well mom.

Tracy said...

We'll add them to our prayer list.

DD said...

We continue to pray for them. Will see Wilma, Linda and Larry this weekend and update them.