Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Texas


I just can't resist talking a little more about my Texas family. The highlight of summer when I was a kid was our annual trip to see the Texas kinfolk. Usually we drove from California to San Antonio where my grandparents lived. As we crossed the border into Texas my mom made us sing,

Oh, beautiful, beautiful Texas
The most beautiful state that I know.
We're proud of our forefathers,
Who fought at the Alamo.
You may live on the plains or the mountains
Or down where the sea breezes blow,
But, you'll still be in beautiful Texas
The most beautiful state that I know.

Texans are all very proud of their state. My cousins used to tease me because I lived in California and Texas was so much better. I really didn't understand their pride. Texas was hot! They had chiggers that could eat you for lunch. I just never did get their pride. But I did love going to Texas. The whole clan came to visit and life was a great big party during our visit. There was watermelon in the backyard and playing in the sprinkler with my cousins. There were great adventures out to Martindale, the very small town where TG and Wilma lived. TG was a hunter and I got to eat squirrel at their house. When bath time came we all had to share the same tub full of water. I was company so I got to go first and everyone else took their baths in the same tub full of water after me. The last one to bathe had cold, dirty water.

I remember clearly one year as we were leaving standing by the car while all the grownups cried and said good bye. My cousin Kenny told me that the next time I came I had to be the host and he would get to do everything first.

The picture is the family gathered after church. I am the giggly girl leaning into my mom and dad. Kenny is kneeling in front between my two brothers. Don't you love all the hats!

11 comments:

Tom and Nancy said...

I'm glad we (DD) "found" you in cyberspace. I'm enjoying seeing some of the vintage Fowler family photos you have. I was the third in the family, so came along a little later than anything you've shown thus far. That, and the fact that I have little recollection of anything in my young childhood (it drives Nancy crazy, as she remembers everything since before 1st grade!) I can only vaguely remember visits to Texas by uncle William and aunt Byrtle and the "California cousins".

Nancy and I got a real kick reading about your mom making you sing the "O beautiful Texas" song when you came into the state. Nancy's Dad, a fiddler, made sure his four daughters all knew that song by heart from an early age. Even today, our niece (one of Noble's granddaughters) makes her 4 kids sing it when they return to Texas after visiting their Kansas grandmother!

Do you have any idea who is in the picture standing behind aunt Dot, just over her right shoulder? I can't place that person. I was wondering, too, if mom's dad (John Allen Palmer) was taking the picture, since he is not in the group...

Tom Allen

Mom said...

I'm not sure who the man is. I thought it might be James Franklin, but that was a guess. Who is older woman on your mom's arm? The back of the picture says, "In front of Christie's Cafe." I'm afraid I don't have many pictures after you and John David came along. I don't know why. This has been a fun journey down memory lane. Who knew the world wide web would help us find each other.

Tom and Nancy said...

I had thought it might be James Franklin as well, but just couldn't convince myself of that. Mom is next to her mom, "Mumbie" we called her (name Xuma (sp?)). Wilma's dad is the John Allen Palmer I mentioned, and since she is in the picture and he not, I surmised he was perhaps the one taking the shot...

rosemary said...

great family stories...and photos. I have lost contact with all of my cousins on my dad's side....we were never close but i would like to know what became of them.

Middle Child said...

Nice memories - and good times. I recall as a kid that when we came back over the back road and down the long hill to our old home town the car would errupt into not "The northern lights of auld Aberdeen" but we'd change it to "The Southern Lights of auld Aberdeen" (Aberdeen NSW Australia) and think how clever we were for doing that... glad you have such memories - they stand you in good stead.

Anonymous said...

This is my new favorite of yours. I just love it. I remember hats, gloves, stockings...rolling our ahir in orange juice cans.

Texas has big hair, the best BBQ in he world, and he nicest people. Yes their pride is huge too...you should hear the local Idahodees up here. Sheesh! Could be related.

Praying for you....

Anonymous said...

Geez I can't type or spell....

duhhh

AM Kingsfield said...

This picture of you, Mom, is the one that I was thinking of when I saw the picture of Grandma B on your previous post. You inherited her mischievous joy. What a wonderful trait!

DD said...

I got John to look at the picture - he is very good at recognizing faces. He thought he knew, so we called Wilma. From our descriptions, she thinks he is probably correct.

The man standing behind Aunt Dorothy is Randall Cook. The older woman standing next to Aunt Dorothy is Challa Mullins-Cook, Grandmother Fowler's sister.

Since she is not in the picture, the photographer is probably Ethel Winters-Cook. She is sister to James Winters and Randall Cook's wife.

Mom said...

Isn't it wonderful to be part of a family!

John said...

I've often wondered the same thing. Why are Texans so much prouder of their state than other states. Then I started traveling to other states. It's kind of hard to brag about a place like Rhode Island. There are ranches in Texas bigger than Rhode Island. I guess I'm one of those stubborn proud people. at least when it comes to Texas.