Thursday, July 12, 2007

VBS

This week I have managed to gather together a canoe, a big bag of gummy worms, badminton net, kid’s wading pool, several small buckets, a big plastic tub, some plastic fish, a clothesline, several bed sheets, a shower curtain liner, and a broken video camera. This obviously means it is almost time for Vacation Bible School. Lots of people put in lots of work to make this week of fun and learning about Jesus happen at our church. The kids always love it, and the adults are always glad when the week is over. My job this year is to decorate the Bible story room each evening. The assortment of goodies is the collection of props we will use to help make the lesson come alive and be meaningful for the young children who will be there.

Did you go to Vacation Bible School when you were a kid? What memories do have if you did?

6 comments:

Linda said...

Hey! Does this mean I am unnecessary? I suspected it all along....sigh. Wish I had been more helpful :(

rosemary said...

I went to catechism on Saturdays and Mass on Sunday. No vacation fun Bible study. In fact, and I hate to admit this, Catholic kids of my generation didn't read the Bible. We read the Lives of the Saints, paid attention when the gospels and epistles were read at Mass and to this day I have not read the bible.

Anne said...

When I was a kid we'd have VBS the week after school got out. When we got in Jr. High the pastor would take us out for field trips every day. Great times.

Tracy said...

I remember making frienship bracelets with you at a table in the fellowship hall in prepration for our VBS. The VBS that I went to was boring as a kid. The ones I helped with were much better than what I went to. Our's were outstanding when I was old enough to "help" and not attend. Probably due to the organizer/director, I'm sure.
I still remember the song. Do you Sue?
(the kids changed the words a little though.. I'll leave them altered how they sung it)

"I can not come to the banquet, don't trouble me now, I have married a cow, I have bought me a wife...I have fields and commitments that cost a pretty sum...."

Those were good times, with good people. Very happy and loving memories at my home church.
Thanks for being such a large part of them, Sue. I love you.

Irene said...

How wonderful of you to get involved in such a meaningful project. Hope your VBS turns out fun and successful. All the best! :)

Mom said...

Yolinna, You are very necessary and helpful. I robbed the theater closet.
Rosemary, You should get a modern translation and read the Bible. it has some really great stories.
Anne, you were blessed with a great church for growing up.
Tracy, you made me cry. I love you too.
Irene, thanks for stopping by.