Saturday, July 07, 2007

The future, the past


I thought of this picture today while attending a funeral. The picture was taken our last night in California. Our daughter and her children are watching the sun as it sets into the Pacific Ocean. I look at the picture and see the future, my children, looking at the end of what has been. We did lots of looking into the past this trip, but when I look at my grandchildren I see my future. I think it is important for them to learn about their roots and to hear the family stories. They are blessed to come from a very long line of love. I hope they draw strength from these roots that will sustain them as they journey into whatever their futures may hold, and that they will have strong wings that let them soar.

The funeral today celebrated the life of a gracious eighty-seven year old lady. Her children and grandchildren spoke of her great love. There were tears and there was laughter as they looked into the blessings of the past. But these young people all know they were loved. They have a rich legacy that will sustain them into the future. They are a lucky family.

Julia, you were a loving lady. You will be missed.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Amen.

AM Kingsfield said...

You know, my family has been in America for so many generations. I think I am going to claim California as my ethnic heritage since Irish & Welsh are too far back to identify with.

It was great that my kids could see their roots.

rosemary said...

A lovely tribute to the past, the now and the future. I wish my children were interested even a tiny bit in their heritage....sadly that tiny bit is not there.

John said...

What a beautiful legacy

Joan said...

What a wonderful way to honor the past, the present and the future. I'm sure your children and grandchildren are well aware of their legacy of love and will pass it on to the generations to come.