Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009

As my last post of 2009 I thought I would re-post a line or two from each month of 2009. It is an interesting exercise to review the year and remember where we were.

January 1, 2009
I knew before his dad took him to the Urgent Care center Sunday what the diagnosis would be. He had all the classic symptoms of diabetes. When the lab report came back his blood sugar was 1100, about ten times the normal level. He spent the next three days in Children's Hospital while trying to get his sugar under control. The doctors say he will be on insulin the rest of his life. DQ will need to make some major life style changes to get this disease under control.
(Update: DQ has had his sugar under control for many months, controlled by diet and one pill daily.)

February 11, 2009
Happy birthday, Charles Darwin. Thank you for making so many people think.

March 16, 2009
I have never moved a mountain. I have prayed fervently for something that seemed so right and so good and not received the answer I sought. In my pain and anger I have yelled at God and questioned why bad things had happened. And like Job I have found that I can only trust that God is smarter than me and that God's plans are for my good.
“I do believe; help thou my unbelief.” (Mark 9:24)

April 12, 2009
Our trip was wonderful. Sedona is truly a beautiful place.

May 16, 2009
Graduations are always emotional events. I can't count the number of graduations I've attended, but this morning's event was one of the proudest moments of my life. My son Paul received his Master of Education degree.

June 17, 2009
Today is our forty-eighth wedding anniversary. We were young and in love. We didn't know what lay ahead. We just knew we wanted to be married, so we began life's journey together.

July 26, 2009
I just watched the space shuttle/space station fly right over my house.

August 24, 2009
It was lovely to wake up to an empty, quiet house today. Our Disney vacation with the boys was wonderful, but it is nice to be home to my quiet routine.

September 15,2009
I am grateful that our laundry room is not equipped with a surveillance camera. It might have recorded an ugly sight last night.

October 25, 2009
We are packed and ready to go. Tomorrow night we will sleep in Egypt.

November 24, 2009
Tomorrow will be his last work day. Monday he will go collect signatures from a large assortment of people as part of the official sign-out procedure. He will turn in his badge. Then he will come home.
The adventure of retirement lies before him. We are excited about what the days will bring.

December 5, 2009
I am officially in the Christmas spirit.

6 comments:

Middle Child said...

A roundup of the year...thats so good

Cazzie!!! said...

Here here to what Therese said... an amazing year of triumph...let us hope that this 2010 is much the same, but with more love than we know now :)

Random Thinker said...

How cool to see the twists and turns of one year. Looked forward to with anticipation of the unknown and reflected upon with joy, laughter and tears.

rosemary said...

Kinda makes me sniffle when I read march and november.

Miss Healthypants said...

Isn't it awesome, to look back on old blog postings sometimes? :) It's always an interesting trip down memory lane.

Facebook has a similar function where it can actually grab your random "statuses" (one-word updates) from the year and put it in a collage for you. I had a blast reading my statuses--it actually led me back to my blog to read more about some of the events.

2009 was an interesting year...I hope 2010 will be interesting and wonderful! :)

Sling said...

This is the joy of blogging..Going back,and taking in the moments.
Here's to a happy and blessed new year!