Friday, April 25, 2008

Eyes

Yesterday afternoon I stayed in a darkened room resting my eyes. They were painfully sensitive to light and weren't working too well after a routine exam by my ophthalmologist. The exam revealed that other than normal deterioration due to aging , whatever that means, my eyes are fine. A day of not being able to see well did make me appreciate the blessing of sight.

In her later years my mother was blind. She lost her vision, but never her sense of humor. One day I found my blind mother sitting at her vanity gazing into the mirror. When I asked what she doing she replied that she was appreciating the benefits of blindness. “I used to look into this mirror and saw a wrinkled old woman whose hair was never quite right. Now, I look into the mirror and I don't see a wrinkle or blemish of any kind. I can't see a single hair out of place. I conclude that blindness has just made me beautiful.” She, in fact, did radiate a beauty far beyond what could be seen in the mirror.

Not long before mom completely lost her sight I did something terrible to her. She lived in an assisted living home in California. I had flown from Maryland to spend a few days with her. I had shared her room in the facility and we had had a great visit. Leaving was always tearful and difficult. So after a weepy hug and good-bye I grabbed my reading glasses from the nightstand and hurried to catch my ride to the airport. As I settled into the plane for the flight home I pulled out my reading glasses and discovered that I had grabbed mom's very strong glasses instead. When I put them on the world became a fuzzy blur. In an age before cell phones I couldn't call her until I arrived home that evening. Meanwhile my mom, not knowing her glasses had been taken, put on my reading glasses thinking they were hers. She could not see anything. The doctor had previously told her that her retina were slightly detached and that it was possible that the complete detachment could happen suddenly. If that happened she would suddenly lose her vision. She thought that was had happened. She called my sister-in-law who called the doctor. He though it sounded as if the retina had detached and scheduled Mom for surgery the next morning. My sister-in-law went to stay with her and take her to surgery the next morning. They were getting ready for bed when I called and told her that I had accidentally switched glasses with her. I didn't understand her laughter and crying. I returned her glasses by overnight mail. She could miraculously see again as well as before. The surgery was canceled. She forgave me and we laughed about the day she went blind for years afterward.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

What a great attitude your mother had re her blindness. You have a wonderful attutide too - sounds to me like mother, like daughter. How lucky you called her as quickly as you did and how relieved she must have been. Laughter and crying indeed!

maryclove said...

Hi. I just sent a comment and am not sure if it went through--or if you got 10 copies! I'm still new to the blogosphere.

Anyhow, I am a volunteer for the Washington Metropolitan Ear in D.C., a non-profit radio reading service for visually impaired persons.

I loved your story! If you wouldn't mind, I would like to use it for my Tuesday evening program which features articles "about and by visually impaired persons." If that's OK, please let me know how I should read a credit for you.

Thanks!

Mary

Mary Love said...

P.S. Since I'm new to this and may not find my way back, would you mind e-mailing an answer?

Sling said...

Well don't ya know how much I can relate to your 'day of blindness'..
It took me an entire weekend to recover from my last eye exam.
That's a great story about your mom.Thankfully,everything worked out in the end. :)

Cazzie!!! said...

What a story! My nan's sight went also, diabetes, cataracts, the lot, she had it. I remember trying on her glasses when I was little, they were so strong...her sight was just that bad!
Technology today is marvellous. Everytime I take a blood sugarlevel at work I marvel wih our 15 second machine that gives us results...my nan's machine took 2min 30secs and you had to fiddle about with the reading stick. If you got it wrong then it was another test and another 2 min 30secs to get any closer to eating your breakfast!
So, I love this story, thanks for taking me back to some great times where we laughed til we cried.

Unknown said...

This was a touching story and I felt your anguish of the long plane ride home.
It would seem you have your mother's wonderful approach to life.
I'm please to "know" you, mom.

Anonymous said...

My mom had a wonderful sense of humor as well. And she always brightened my day. We called each other every day for almost 14 years before she passed.
Seems you and Sling have had a rough going form your eye appt's lately. I think I will wait to have mine done until summer. That puff of whatever really gets me and it makes me cringe to hear about your guys.

Wonderful story...

Jennie said...

Hi Mom! Thanks for all the visits, it's nice having you. I love the story of your mom sitting in front of the mirror. It's a wonderful reminder that we're all as happy as we decide to be.