Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dying

One of the things that takes up a lot of my time is serving as a Stephen minister. This is a ministry to people who are in the middle of one of life's many hard moments. We help people through all sorts of situations, such as job loss, divorce, grief, problems with children and problems that come with old age. Stephen ministers aren't there to solve problems or fix things. We are just there, walking though the moment with people and letting them know they are not alone. I find it a fulfilling way to help others and meet my need to be a caretaker. There is some training involved , mostly on how to be a good listener. Currently we are working on a lesson about how to care for the dying. One thing we have to do is figure out our own feelings and thoughts about our own deaths. It is an inevitable part of life, something we should talk about. One of our homework assignments is to list five words that come to mind when you think about death. So I am asking you to help me.
What five words come to your mind when you think about death?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Peace, Holiness, Journey, Discovery, Love

Sandy said...

What a wonderful ministry! When thinking about death in general the first five words for me are: grief, grace, endings, beginnings, peace. Years ago I read, "How We Die" and it's not all that pretty. If I think of my OWN death it would be: family, love, gratitude, peace, discovery. I hope you share some of your lessons.

Anna said...

Sooner. Rather. Than. Later. Please.

;)

That is what first popped in my head.

If I think?

Peace. Calm. Lavish. Love. Savior.

That is probably better.

AM Kingsfield said...

Change, parting, relief, tears, love

Lorraine said...

Fear. Reality. Peace. Heaven. Jesus.

That is indeed a wonderful ministry and I honor you for doing it...walking with others in their suffering as a companion and not a "fixer" takes a special grace indeed.

rosemary said...

What a wonderful service.....you are such a giving woman.
Five words.....hard thing to do...

Fact, loss, family, tears, remember.

John said...

Fear. Sorrow. Learning. Relief. Rest.

Sling said...

Freedom,energy,peace,God,infinity..
You do good work mom!

Mom said...

Thanks for all your comments. This was interesting. You listed 32 different words. Peace was repeated 6 times.
My 5 words are
Tears. Transition, Joy, Heaven, Home