Thursday, May 27, 2010

Space


My friend Rosemary had a request from her school teacher son to blog about her memories of the moon landing. She was distracted by babies and work at the time and it was not a very big deal for her. Being married to a NASA rocket scientist, my experience was far more intense.

In 1967 my husband flew to Houston to work with the crew of Apollo I. They were to perform a scientific experiment while in space that he needed to demonstrate to them. It was a big thrill for him to able to work with the astronauts. When those three men were killed in a fire while preparing for the launch it was a painful loss to him and to all of NASA.

In 1969 we stayed up late to watch as the moon lander left Apollo 11 and landed on the moon. I had four small babies at the time and staying awake was a challenge. I kept drifting off and then waking up again. My husband prodded me awake to make sure I saw Neil Armstrong step onto the lunar surface. We held our breath. “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” It all seemed so unbelievable. People were walking on the the surface of the same moon that was shining over my head. The TV camera showed Armstrong frolicking and playing, jumping around on the moon. He and Buzz Aldrin set up a flag on the moon. It was a moment full of wonder in our house.

The Apollo13 mission was very scary. That phrase, “Houston, we have a problem,” seemed to reverberate around the globe. Special prayer services were held in churches everywhere. The TV was constantly on as we watched and waited and prayed. Time seemed suspended as the world held it's collective breath. I remember standing in my living room laughing and crying and shouting for joy as my four children stared at me like I was a crazy woman. It was a great moment of a world's prayers answered.

I remember the great pain I felt when the Challenger exploded and again when the Columbia exploded. Space travel is not a safe thing.

The technology developed by NASA for the space program has had far reaching effects in our daily life. Everything from laser surgery to Teflon cookware to Olympic swimsuits is a byproduct of the space program. In spite of budget cuts and the loss of some programs, NASA is alive and well and discovering new wonders everyday.

What are your memories of America's space program?
What has NASA's technology developed that amazes you?

3 comments:

rosemary said...

Thank you Sue....I told my son just a few minutes ago about your post and he will read it tonight. i am also going to search for the post your daughter wrote in honor of her dad. Was it on your blog or hers? I was moved by her writing and her memories. with love, rosemary

Miss Healthypants said...

This was FASCINATING...thanks for sharing! :)

I didn't know that laser surgery, Teflon cookware, and Olympic swimsuits were developed from the space program...now I want to know more.

You & your husband must have some amazing memories. :)

Sling said...

I remember thinking,when Neil Armstrong made that first step,'Every.Single.Thing has changed!'..
I was a youngster,of course,but it just seemed to me that there wasn't anything we couldn't accomplish.
For a precious time in human history,we were invincible.