Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Roller Coaster

Do you ever feel like your life is just one enormous, never ending roller coaster ride?

Lately my life is full of the highest highs, the lowest lows, and all sorts of scary loops and curves. I have to admit that there have been long, peaceful parts of the ride, but not lately. I am still glowing from the high of hearing from my long missing boy. Knowing he is alive and well and that he has taken that first big step toward home just makes me feel warm all over.

Yesterday was a huge, scary drop that sucked the air right out of me. I accompanied my daughter to the doctor for a surgical consultation for my teenage grandson. He has ulcerative colitis and has been in a serious flare for many months. Medical intervention has not been very successful. We went to the doctor ready to act and hopeful that surgery would be a cure for his problem. We left feeling overwhelmed and demoralized. The surgery described was actually a series of major surgeries that would have horrific, life changing results. We do not want that surgery. So he will begin a new medicine that will be administered by IV drip, frequently at first and then tapering off to every eight weeks. This should buy him time, many years we hope. In the mean time we will pray that research comes up with a better way to treat this disease and it's serious symptoms.

I have seen God work a miracle in the life of one boy. Now I am waiting for a miracle for another boy.

10 comments:

Jennie said...

So sorry Mom, that must be scary for such a young guy (and his mothers). I hope that he gets relief soon - he'll be in my prayers tonight. And to answer your first question? YES. But we can pray for healing and hope for miracles.

Tracy said...

I'll be praying for him and his family as they try and help him heal.

Linda said...

So awful... and seems so unfair. We are praying, sending healing and holding them (and you) close. Wish there was more we could do.

Cazzie!!! said...

What surgery was advised and what medications will he begin? I only ask because my hospital has many finalised and many ongoing research in the area of Ulcerative Colitis. I only just worked a shift this week on that very ward. Some amazing things are developed.
Sending you and yours huggs and love from Down Under :)

Mom said...

Cazzie, the medicine is called Remicade, a biological agent that has a high success rate in U.C. The surgeon described a colectomy, building a J-pouch with the small bowel, a temporary iliostomy, and after a period for it all to heal, attaching the small bowel to the anus and closing the iliostomy. His disease has not progressed far enough to do this radical procedure. The med should buy us time for the researchers to come up with something better.

Sling said...

I suspect I know what some of those life changes may be.
I'll pitch in and ask God for a favorable outcome to his treatment.

Middle Child said...

What can I add to all of these good people...just you hang in there...for your daughter and grandson...am a firm believer in the power of selfless prayer and praying for good health is selfless.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks everyone.

May I add that if you ever shop on amazon.com, if you enter amazon through the ccfa.org website, amazon will give a small % of the sale to the organization that funds much research and support for people with Crohn's and colitis.

It costs you only the extra few seconds to go to the website. Thanks! Every little bit helps!

Miss Healthypants said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandson!! I will pray for his fast recovery.

Unknown said...

Oh, Mom I am so sorry to hear that kind of news about your grandson. That is horribly scary. My prayers are going up.