Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

We enjoyed a nearly perfect Memorial Day weekend.

Friday evening we went to a dinner and a movie. The movie was “Prince of Persia” which was far more enjoyable than I had anticipated, full of sword fighting and high adventure. The previews for upcoming movies seemed a bit strange. I think Hollywood has run out of new ideas. All of the previews were remakes of movies I've seen in years long gone. Previews were for “The Karate Kid,” “The A -Team,” “Tron,” and “The Sorcerer's Apprentice.” They were good movies then. I guess Hollywood figures they'll make money again.


Saturday was the big Memorial Day parade in our town. It was full marching boy scouts, baton twirling girls, and flag carrying veterans. It would have been better without the hour's worth of politicians running for office in September's primary election who marched ahead of all the civic groups. The politicians should have been humble enough to follow all the kids who came early and waited far too long for their turn. I guess humble politician is an oxymoron.

I always enjoy Sunday because I love going to church and worshiping the Almighty God I love with people that I love.

Monday we enjoyed the first pool party of the season in our daughter's backyard. Hamburgers, hot dogs and splashing in the pool on a 90 degree day welcomed summer in a wonderful way.

There was time for working in the yard, reading and a nap between all the other activities.

This year for the first time we celebrated this day with a son and a grandson in the military. When people gave thanks for all those who have served in our military it felt much closer to my heart.

I love this country that is my home.
God bless America.

4 comments:

Middle Child said...

I loved Prince of Persia - always did love those swashbucklin' movies like Clash of the Titans and all of that - you come out feeling as if you have seen a MOVIE

Random Thinker said...

I'll have to go see that movie. We saw Robin Hood. It was OK. Hollywood is afraid to take risks so they keep recycling old material.

rosemary said...

Prince is next on our list to see at the senior special matinee. For some reason our little town doesn't do a Memorial day celebration. We need one here.

Miss Healthypants said...

I had a great Memorial Day weekend, too. We clapped & cheered for the veterans in Chicago's Memorial Day parade...we owe so much to them.