Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Worry

One of my favorite biblical phrases is found several places in Psalms. It is “fret not thyself.” It means the same thing as as Jesus' command, “Do not worry,” which he repeats several times in the Sermon on the Mount. I'm getting better about following this command, but sometimes it is hard to just rest in the Lord and not worry about life and all it's concerns.

Today one of the big things I am trying not to worry about is my big brother Bill. He went to the hospital last week coughing up blood. A mass was discovered in his lung. He is having a biopsy today. He has a history of colon cancer. Is this a primary or a secondary lesion? His wife remains in fragile health in a nursing home since her head injury last summer. Life just seems very hard for them now.

Of course I am trying not to worry about the various other health, financial, social and spiritual concerns that are present in the lives of my friends and family. God has helped us to survive this far and I am trying to trust Him now with all my worries.

Resting in God and trusting is not always an easy command to follow.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Now I'm here saying Amen to you. Amen! This post comes in a timely fashion for me. I would like to know the fullness of putting my worries down at God's feet. Sometimes I get it and others I cannot even fathom what that means.
Sorry to hear about your brother. They have had such a rough time. Prayers are being said here...I think that's the best way to give the worries away.

Cazzie!!! said...

When we read about other people's dilemmas it seems to put everything into perspective in our own lives and therefore brings us to exaclty the point that you are making ..which is fret not thyself. I love it, it certainly then opens the right doors to help others, lessening our own worries in comparison. And, makes us look out for each other :)

rosemary said...

Repeating the two prayers that comfort me for you and your brother.....The Lords Prayer and the one you emailed.

Cazzie!!! said...

Still thinkin'of Bill from abroad..across the oceans and valleys, Down Under :)

Middle Child said...

I hope your Bill is okay...
its natural to worry...and sometimes I get bogged down by it...no harm in walking outside in the sun and asking the angels for help...many's the time I have just said..."I am stuck and don't know what to do or where to turn and will accept any help you send" I seem to always get through the worst...just leave it in the lap of the gods..and then I still worry but having asked for help may (just may) mean some help arrives...if its meant to