Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Puzzelment

Amid all the talk in politics about whether or not torture of suspected terrorists is ever permissible, I find this survey from Pew Research Forum a puzzlement. According to the survey the more often a person attends church services, the more likely that person is to approve of torture. The people who attend church the least often are most likely to disapprove of torture. It seems to me that church folks who are taught about grace, mercy, forgiveness and love should be against torture more often than those who not. I find this strange.

Can someone explain to me why the survey found this result?

5 comments:

rosemary said...

Sue....I think because people embellish or sometimes outright lie. They may or may not be church going people.... I think a lot of survey type questions are structured to make folks answer the way they think they should, not how they really feel. I do not go to church....I do not approve of torture....I know you go to church and I would not believe it for a minute if someone told me you did believe in torture.

Sling said...

For whatever reason,one I can't figure out,the survey was meant to get the answer they wanted.
The whole assumption that regular church goers are in favor of torture is patently absurd.

John said...

Other than the fact that I find the sample size of 742 people to be quite small, I would have no explanation. The one thing I learned in statistics class, besides that the blond in front of me had no interest in my workout schedule or how much I could squat thrust, was that you can make statistics say anything you want.

Middle Child said...

We once had an old friend who was a professional statistician...he was in his 90's when he died..he said not to trust any survey unless you knew that a whole lot od criteria had been followed...e said most survey forms would be better off being used for toilet paper.

AM Kingsfield said...

But I can see this as being true. You guys just aren't typical hellfire & brimstone Christians. That same survey had the % of people claiming they don't go at all anymore has doubled. I think those who mix politics in their religion are inadvertently running people out of the church.