Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Older Americans Month

May is National Older Americans month. In Maryland this month was celebrated yesterday by an awards ceremony in Annapolis. I was there with the Bowie Senior Chorale. Our singing group won the performing arts award. Several awards were given. My favorite went to a Ms Angela Witt for her participation in the Maryland Senior Olympics. She has won 80 medals, 54 of them gold. She is 99 years young and is still an avid walker and a very funny charming lady. I want to be like her when I get old.

Who is an older person who has enriched your life and made this a better world? This month is the time to tell that person thank you.

4 comments:

Sling said...

How did I not know you were in Maryland?
Or did you just go there for the Chorale?
I was stationed at Aberdeen proving grounds briefly in 1971.
All of the older folks that influenced me sre pretty much gone now.
My Grandfather being first among them.

Mom said...

Sling, you haven't been paying attention. Been here since 1964.

rosemary said...

Ms. Witt would be a hard act to beat....hurrah for her! Sadly I never had any older memorable folks in my life.....my dad I guess....I wish I was a frugal as he was.

Cazzie!!! said...

That person would be my first ever Matron ..or Director Of Nursing as they are known now.
She was very proper, rigid with her ways, yet those ways have stuck well with me and I adored to work with her/ for her.
Nowadays, she is retired, and I visit her, and she still has that air about her... lovely :)