Thursday, May 21, 2009

Music

Music is one of God's better gifts. It seems to touch all my moods and makes life better in many ways.

Our congregation celebrated it's annual Music Sunday this week. Music was the focus of our worship to God. We had music that combined the voices of the congregation, the choirs, the handbells, the orchestra and the organ. We filled the sanctuary with with loud, boisterous, joyous music of praise. We had quiet instrumentals that felt like a haunting whisper from the Holy Spirit. The music was beautiful, uplifting and holy. The Psalmist was wise when he said in his last chapter:

Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
Praise him with the harp and lyre,
Praise him with tambourine and dancing,
Praise him with the strings and flute,
Praise him with the clash of cymbals,
Praise him with resounding cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.

Last night we celebrated with another evening of music. This time it was the Senior Chorale singing rock and roll. The one-hundred member chorale forgot their creaky joints and aching backs and we rocked the house. The six hundred folks in the audience were clapping and singing along with us to music of the fifties. It was our music. Dressed in poodle skirts and ponytails or blue jeans and letter sweaters, we all felt like we teenagers again. Music that makes a bunch of senior citizens feel young is a wonderful thing!

2 comments:

rosemary said...

We recently watched Cadillac Records and I bought the sound track and the original singers/musicians on CD....I sing along at the top of my lungs.....I used to be able to carry a pretty good tune....Steve says not so much now.

just me said...

I wish I could have been at the concert Wed - unfortunately I had a conflict. One day I hope to be a singing senior! (When I'm older maybe I'll actually have time for such pursuits - one can only hope.)