Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mothers Day



I recently found this picture of my mother and me. I love her expression. I see the protecting, comforting fierce love that made me know everything was safe and good.

My earliest memories are sitting in her warm, cozy lap. She would rock me and sing, “Jesus Loves Me” to me. Her lap was the most wonderful place in the world. There are many times I long for that wonderful, warm, safe place.

One of the last times I saw my mom she was sitting in a big recliner chair in the nursing home. For over a year she had been lost in a world of dementia and blindness. She no longer spoke. This day I sat close to her and put my arms around her and began singing to her. “Jesus loves me this I know.” Suddenly her weak voice joined mine. “Yes Jesus loves me, Yes Jesus loves me.” She sang the entire song with me. Afterward she turned to me and smiled. She whispered, “That's right, honey, he still does.” Those were the last words I ever heard her speak.

I look forward to heaven. It will be wonderful to be able to sing together again.

5 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Absolutely gorgeous tribute, and the picture... more than a thousand words!

AM Kingsfield said...

Happy Mother's Day!

John said...

Thank you very much for that.

just me said...

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

Middle Child said...

Thank you for sharing that most beautiful and sacred memory...I feel honoured and am crying...but happy tears.