Friday, May 30, 2008

Found

This morning I found my mother’s tablecloth. I had been looking for it for the past two months and this morning I found it. It was folded inside another cloth and I had just missed it in my searching. This is an old vinyl tablecloth made to look like lace. It is not valuable or even very attractive, but it was used by my mom and later by me at almost all our major family dinners. If this tablecloth could speak it could tell some wonderful stories. I cried with happiness when I found this cloth full of memories.

My mom was wonderful. Everyone loved my mom. She had many great qualities, but cooking was not her greatest skill. One evening the family gathered around the table for dinner. She had made a casserole of chicken and green chilies. It smelled and looked great. We all served ourselves generous portions and dug in. After the first bite we all grabbed our water and gulped it down. Our mouths were on fire. I’ve never tasted anything quite so spicy hot. We gasped and asked mom what she had put in that recipe. She swore she followed the recipe exactly. My brother looked in the trash and found the culprit. Instead of using green chilies, she had used jalapeño peppers. Mom said they looked green to her. She thought they were the same thing.

This tablecloth has heard a generation of stories and laughter. We have sung happy birthday around it more times than I can count. It held the cake when we celebrated my folks golden anniversary. I brought home with me when mom moved into an assisted living facility. It has great value to me.

What do you own that is worth very little money but is a great treasure to you?

6 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Whew! So glad you found it.

I remember taking a bite of that casserole and watching you to figure out what we were supposed to do with that inedible dinner.

rosemary said...

Great story....I cook like your mom. As for a favorite thing/s.....I guess it would be a picture of me as a kid with my mom and grandmother. It is framed and hanging in the dinning room and I look at it everyday.

kenju said...

I have a lace tablecloth (a cheap, machine-made lace) that was used my my mom for many family dinners, and now I use it too. It brings back a lot of memories for me. I am so glad you found yours!

just me said...

The dishes I use at Passover were used by my mom for many Passovers before that. They came from the five-and-dime (try explaining that concept to today's children!) and didn't cost much, but every year when I take them out, I think of holidays past.

Funny how so many memories revolve around food.

Sandy said...

What a loving touch to the past that tablecloth is. And your mother's confusion re the chilis is a classic. I have two items of little monetary value I treasure from my mother: one is her original engagement ring from my birth dad. One of the three tiny diamonds was missing and my jeweler replaced it for $5! The second item is a cobalt-blue bud vase that she used on a table whenever we had a family gathering. Both items of little value but priceless.

Anonymous said...

Aren't those things, those little things, just the best? I too have some of those little treasures I adore. In the winter, I still have some nice gloves that were my mother's. I wear them and feel her hands wrapped around mine. I have a box of her hankies--when hankies were stylish and girlfriends sent them to each other in the mail. I have a bottle of her perfume; Shalimar; I still can't wear it or I cry....yes, those wonderful keepsakes.

So glad you found yours...have a wonderful week. Enjoy!