Thursday, May 08, 2008

Motherhood

I watch my children who are so busy with all the duties of parenthood and job concerns. I like watching them pass on the traditions that are part of our family history and making traditions of their own that make their homes and families unique. They are all so very busy. It takes a lot of time to raise children and earn a living and find time to laugh and enjoy life. My kids make me proud because they are such good parents and somehow find time to work in all the important things.

I miss the busyness of being the center of a busy family. As a little girl all I wanted to do was to grow up, get married and have a family. I did that. I mothered four wonderful children. It just never occurred to me that there would be a time after that. One of the biggest adjustments of getting older has been learning to enjoy not being at the center of a busy family any more. Now I am the grandmother. This is a wonderful role, but it is not the same intimate role that motherhood is. I no longer am the center of my children’s world. I am in the circle of their lives, but they are the center of their own homes now.

Tomorrow we travel to Tennessee to watch our oldest grandchild graduate from college. She is an adult and ready to become the center of her own world. The circle of life just keeps on rolling forward.

11 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

I think "The circle of Life" is the exact phrase you are speaking of, and yes, I am the centre of attention now, and I realise I won't be that forever, so I plan on lapping it up on Mother's Day tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip and relish every moment. You have a new perspective filled with love and hope. How utterly wonderful and amazing. Enjoy!!!

Linda said...

Whenever your name comes up Carol always says, "Sue is a beacon of light, she lights the way for others to find just the thing they need for their path".

It's kind of nice to have the time to do that, it's different from being the center but it's somehow even more important. Namaste'

rosemary said...

You are an amazing woman.

just me said...

Congratulations to the graduate! My cousin's daughter graduates from Univ of Connecticut this weekend. It's amazing to me how fast this goes.

Spoke to a friend today for the first time in quite a while. When I mentioned that D starts middle school next year, she nearly broke my eardrum! Tempus fugit.

Miss Healthypants said...

Isn't life funny like that? We always think about one section of our lives at a time.

I had this experience recently. A couple of months ago I was pregnant (I unfortunately had a miscarriage--but time has healed the sadness)...anyway, I thought all the time about how much I wanted to get pregnant. Then, when I got pregnant, I was extremely tired and nauseas. I only thought about becoming pregnant, not the actual experience of pregnancy. Well, I'll be more prepared for all the "fun" next time around! *smiles*

Miss Healthypants said...

P.S. Congratulations on your achievement of raising 4 wonderful children! Happy Mother's Day!!

AM Kingsfield said...

You make me look forward to the next part and help me focus on the joys of this hectic time. Happy Mother's Day!

Sandy said...

Having been raising our grandchildren until recently we are only now experiencing not being the hub of all that activity. For us it's a welcome relief and we're enjoying the quiet. Enjoy your trip - hope we get pictures of it!

Sling said...

I've thought about this,from time to time.
My own grandchildren will never know the wonderful grandparents that I grew up with.
Still,I can chide them with the sure and certain knowledge,'You're just like your great-great grandmother!'
I've decided that some things continue to radiate outward from a benevolent center...
It's all a matter of perspective.

Jennie said...

I'm just starting to get a feel for that time beyond parenthood while the kids are at home. I'm already starting to miss my oldest and he's 16. I don't want him to go.
Happy Birthday - I hope it was a good one.