Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Birds


Yesterday while working in my yard I came upon a nest full of baby birds. The nest is in a row of bushes right at eye level so these babies could be easily observed. I found myself totally enchanted by these little creatures and watched them for a long time. They were tightly packed into that small space, and as they slept it appeared that the nest was pulsing with each breath they took. Their nearly featherless bodies pulsed up and down in a steady beat. I backed away a bit and watched as the mother robin returned to the nest to feed them. Three wrinkled little black heads popped up, beaks wide open. They truly are ugly with their wrinkled, featherless necks craning up hungrily. Their eyes appeared closed. I wondered if they were able to see anything yet. It has been raining here and I wondered about the birds in their little nest with only a few fuzzy feathers to protect them. I just checked on them again and they are all there appearing safe and comfortable in their wet little nest. I wonder how long it will be before they fly away and leave their mama with an empty nest. Will their mama miss them when they go? Is the empty nest syndrome just something humans endure?

3 comments:

Sling said...

I think,by definition,empty nest syndrome extends beyond humanity,and into nature in general.
What creature exists that doesn't feel the pangs of loss when the fruit of their loins takes that bold step into the world,to chart it's own course in the evolution of life?
It's why we're here.
Pretty birds! :)

Mom said...

Sling, my friend, you can be very profound.

Jennie said...

I always wonder how mommy animals feel about their babies. Like how long they keep looking when another animal steals the babes from the nest, etc. Those baby birds are ugly...in a cute sort of way. :)