Monday, June 02, 2008

Birth

Forty-one years ago today I gave birth to my third child, my first-born son, David. He is a wonderful man who has brought me great joy. Happy Birthday son.

The day of his birth was the closest I have ever come to dying. I don’t remember anything about my labor or his delivery. What I do remember is floating above my body and looking down at a room full of doctors and nurses. I heard one say, “Her pressure is 40 over nothing. I think we’re losing her.” Another voice shouted to pump in more blood. I drifted there watching the activity and thought that I must be dying. It was not a scary thought, just a realization of what was happening. Then I drifted off into blackness. It was thirty-six hours later when I next opened my eyes and saw my sweet husband sitting at my bedside crying. Bless his heart; he had had a hard day. In a day before fathers were allowed into delivery rooms he waited a long time without any information. Finally a nurse came to tell him he had a son, but they were still working on me. He saw the baby through the glass to the nursery, but I did not come out for a very long time. Finally the doctor came and informed him that I had hemorrhaged and lost a lot of blood. It was a close call.

I recovered and gave birth to another son a year later without any complication.

Have you ever had a near death experience?

8 comments:

rosemary said...

No, not me personally. But the day of the car accident in 2005 I almost lost Steve twice....horrible, horrible experience.

John said...

I'm so very glad you made it. I cannot imagine what this world would be without your humor and smile.
The closest I've come to a near death experience is when I dreamed I had my head cut off in a guillotine. I didn't feel a thing though.

Sandy said...

How amazing that you remembered your experience in so much detail. I haven't had that type of experience but thought I might die when two thugs attempted to car-jack me - I remember how everything slowed down and I thought of how dumb it would be to die in a parking lot. Were you (or your husband) at all nervous during your second pregnancy?

MarkEC said...

I am always thankful of the technologies of today. My daughter was stuck and would not have been able to be delivered without the help of a C-section. I think that would have put both her and her mother in a grave situation had we not been in a modern hospital with all the services they offer. Glad that you were in the right place to get the help you needed at that moment!

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you made it through that! It's fascinating how this "floating above body" happens. I've never had an experience like that, but it sounds like you had nearly the same thing happen as my aunt. She almost died, actually did "die" with her third delivery and went on to have a successful fourth.

Sling said...

Wow.I've heard of the out of body experience,but never knew anyone that actualy went through it.
Glad you're still around to tell the tale.

Unknown said...

What an experience! Yes, that out of body floating is amazing. I haven't had anything like that except when I was sitting in divorce court.

Ashley Evers said...

My name is Ashley we have two beautiful little girls but with both I paid a very large price. It seems my body is not meant to "bake" the little ones ; )

With Chloe, our first, I experience the very same thing! A very near death experience I remember looking at my husband and telling him I think I'm leaving then I started to almost float around the area. Yelling, needles, and my MD entire arm is all super vivid. Almost a day later I remember holding Chloe not sure if I was a solid person or not. It was really a powerful experience that I will never forget.
Keira is our second daughter (almost 3 years later you can see I was a bit traumatized!) and her birth was similar but not nearly as awful. Our family and the medical staff were very prepared for the possible emergency.
All in all I am blessed with two wonderful girls and oddly enough a miraculous story of life!
-Ashley