Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stuff

Tonight I sorted through another drawer of old papers. Most of the papers were from the eighties and early nineties. Nothing in this pile of old important papers was still important and I threw it all away. As I looked at each paper to see if it needed to be kept I did encounter many old memories. There were several receipts from hotels where we had gone for short vacations. One had the receipt from a jewelry store attached. It was for a locket my beloved gave me on our thirtieth anniversary. There were insurance policies for cars we have not owned for many years. Our YMCA membership card for 1991 was there. The paper work that said we were foster parents for our now grown and long-gone foster son was there. There were piles of receipts for oil changes and membership cards to video clubs that closed long ago. The most interesting tidbit was a membership card with my husband’s name on it for the Moral Majority. It was dated 1981 and signed by Jerry Falwell. Although my husband is a very moral man, he was definitely never a member of that organization.

Do you have a drawer full of papers that are of no use except to stir up old memories? Why do we save so much stuff?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh-oh, you got spammed, Mom.
As for the stuff, I guess we "might" need it so we keep it. At least that's my reasoning. But inevitably we have to purge and it always seems like it's thing time of year when we get the urge. Isn't that wierd?
So Jerry snuck that card in on you, huh? He was sneaky.

rosemary said...

I have boxes of just that kind of stuff....when ever Steve goes on a long trip I get rid of a few of them...he can't seem to throw anything out. He pitches a fit when I get rid of tax stuff....from the 70's!!

Sandy said...

I have a super shredder for old papers and receipts so don’t have a drawer full of mementos that stir memories. But I think I’d like that. Hmm, maybe I’m going to rethink things and start one.

Simon said...

Im a terrible horder... I have boxes of old papers at home, because you never know when I might need that receipt from 1998 of a new mobile phone which I've replaced about 8 times since then! Inspired by your post, I may have to have a clear out this weekend... it would give me a lot more storage space for more important things Im sure.