Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse


I was fascinated by last night’s total lunar eclipse. In the early evening the bright full moon glistened on a layer of new fallen snow. The evening sky looked like the picture on the cover of “A Night Before Christmas.” About 9pm a shadow began to nibble out the bottom part of the moon. The shadow slowly spread and darkened the moon. I was expecting the moon to just disappear behind the earth’s shadow and was surprised when that was not what happened. Instead the moon became a soft orange globe. My husband the astronomer explained that the moon was reflecting the light of sunset around the world. The moon was reflecting the sunset glow. It was a beautifully eerie sight. By 11pm the white light of the moon was beginning to return in a small crescent around the edge of the moon. I was asleep before the full moon returned to the night sky.

“The heavens are telling the glory of God.” Psalm 19:1

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow-wee! Is that your hubby's photo? What a glorious sight. We had clouds last night so it was hidden. sighhh

rosemary said...

It was pretty spectacular. I tried to take a picture but no luck.

Sandy said...

We missed seeing it because of cloud cover and rain. Your descriptive description of it is beautiful and yes, the heavens do declare the glory of God.

John said...

Gorgeous. I didn't see it either. I usually miss those sorts of things anyway.

Sling said...

We got a break in the clouds long enough for me to go out and witness the full eclipse!..Glorious indeed.