Tuesday, February 05, 2008

3,100,000,000,000

If I put the right number of zeros, that number is 3.1 trillion. The budget that W. just submitted to congress is for 3.1 trillion dollars. According to this morning’s Washington Post that budget will leave deficits of over 400 billion dollars and will freeze most domestic spending. Oh, and by the way it does not include any of the billions of dollars needed for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

My brain does not compute numbers that big. I can figure out how much a thousand dollars is. I can figure how much several hundred thousand dollars is. I have seen homes that cost a million dollars, so I can see what you can get for a million dollars. But beyond that I can’t comprehend. I do know that it is an awful lot of money.

I thought Republicans were supposed to be fiscal conservatives. Is this what happens with the Republican brand of fiscal responsibility? This is a terrible debt to be passing on to my grandchildren. Whoever becomes our next president, that person will be inheriting a terrible budget mess.

I can’t figure out why anyone would want to be president. This is just one small part of the huge mess that needs to be cleaned up. It will be an almost impossible job.

Today is election day for half of the nation. God bless the person who wins this job with wisdom, integrity and courage.

1 comment:

Linda said...

words escape me....