Thursday, February 07, 2008

Dust

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. We had a short, simple worship service at church that I found very moving. As the minister placed ashes on my forehead he repeated the phrase, “You came from dust and to dust you will return.” It caused me to ponder my mortality and the brevity of life. I want to live each day I am given abundantly and full of joy. When the time comes for this body to return to the dust from which it came I look forward to a place far more wonderful than this.

How do you feel when you consider your own mortality?

3 comments:

Sling said...

The eye has not seen,nor the ear heard the wonders that wait for me in Heaven.
Pretty encouraging stuff.

AM Kingsfield said...

i do feel motivated to enjoy my life, to spaz less, to watch my children

Linda said...

I never really thought about it til this week when it occured to me that I am going to be 50 and that my children are growing up and I won't have the primary job of Mom. I'm going to have to get back to you on that....