Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Christmas 1954


All of my memories of Christmas as a child are happy memories. One of the major tasks of the season was the choosing of a Christmas tree. Dad took this job very seriously. All of us would join him in his search for the perfect tree. We usually drove to at least six different lots to inspect all of the trees. It was fortunate that I grew up in southern California so cold weather did not cause a problem in our quest. Our tree had to be perfect. Dad would pick one out and we would all walk around it to check for bare spots or dry needles. It was so hard to find one that we would all agree was the perfect tree for us. Frequently we would go back to the first lot after we had checked them all and buy one of first trees we had seen. It was always an exciting day. In this picture we are gathered around our perfect tree in 1954. My brothers were in high school. I was in junior high. The dress is one I made in home ec class. I was quite proud of it.

This year we will climb into the attic and bring down our genuine artificial pine tree. There are no bare spots and needles don’t fall off. Putting it’s artificial branches together just doesn’t seem as exciting as my childhood quest for the perfect tree.

How about you? Real tree or artificial tree?

5 comments:

Maureen said...

There are two things we agreed on when we got married over 25 years ago. No TV in the bedroom and always a real christmas tree. We have so many funny stories and fond memories of picking out a tree.

MarkEC said...

I have a fake tree... with the lights already in it. It's not as nice as a real tree, but it's close enough when I take in the time, cost, watering, etc. Oh.. and I have a TV in the bedroom too! ;-)

rosemary said...

Real tree cut from our forest....they always look so lovely when we are looking for the perfect tree and look so Charlie Brown like when in the house and decorated. I remember the year we got a flocked tree...my father had a fit and tried to pick all of the flocking off. My mother was also obsessed with having all of the tinsel perfectly hanging in individual strands....I liked to throw it on the tree....so, I was made to sit on the couch while that job was done.

John said...

Real tree. Best memories of childhood are going tree hunting. We have a fake one but we haven't used it in a while.

Sling said...

Real tree.
..with genuine glass bubble lights!