Saturday, March 03, 2007

Traffic

I occasionally work a day in the doctor’s office where I was the nurse for twenty years. Yesterday was one of those days. I had a great job which I enjoyed, so filling in once in a while is kind of fun. The commute to the office is usually about 25 minutes, most of it on a fairly light traffic portion of the beltway. Yesterday it was the commute from hell. Just as I turned onto the beltway yesterday morning the traffic stopped. The warning sign overhead reported that there was an accident further ahead and all lanes were blocked. There would be major delays. I got off at the first available exit, as did many other commuters. I wondered through the city streets seeking a way around the accident and finally arrived at work after a ninety-minute drive. Just as I was preparing to leave after a pleasant day at work we heard there had just been another accident on the beltway. This accident involved two semis and lots of spilled diesel fuel and flames shooting into the air. The beltway was closed in both directions. I again had to find a way on unfamiliar, overcrowded city streets. The traffic was at a crawl and the drivers around me were not happy. The drive home took two hours.

I did make it home just in time to get to the awards ceremony and watch granddaughter number three inducted into the Junior National Honor Society. It is so wonderful to watch my grandchildren succeed.

No comments: